Here are some resources and tips to prepare for your Engagement Session that will come in handy! :
1. CLEAN YOUR RING! :
I will be photographing your gorgeous ring! This means that this would be a perfect opportunity to have your ring cleaned so that it’s clear of dirt and other build up that may be visible through a macro lens!
2. HAIR & MAKEUP :
Splurge a little! If you were considering getting your hair and makeup done, this is the perfect opportunity to treat yourself! You will cherish these images forever and so investing in professional hair and makeup can be an extra fun way to celebrate the occasion and allow you to be extra confident during your shoot! Tip: If you’re worried about looking tired or just want a little something special for your portraits, getting false lashes will make the most impact in your portraits! There are all types of lashes that range from looking completely natural to looking like Beyonce! I would lean towards the natural end of the spectrum! 🙂 But it’s totally up to you! Sometimes a great mascara works just as well too!
3. THE TIMELINE :
I recommend leaving 15-20 minutes earlier than you originally planned just to be safe! You’ll always be more relaxed if you arrive a little early and can take a deep breath before we start the session! 🙂
4. HAVE A PREVIEW PARTY :
In the past I have found that it is incredibly helpful for my brides to sit down and have a little preview party with their groom before their engagement session. Take ten minutes and sit down together to scroll through 2-3 of my engagement sessions on my blog or on my website. This will allow you and your groom to be prepared for what you are about to experience!
5. TAKE A DEEP BREATH! :
You’re going to be amazing models! I always tell my couples that the BEST models are the ones who have never modeled professionally before! And I mean it! The couples who are usually most nervous are the couples who totally rock their session! So be encouraged! I have worked with A LOT OF DIFFERENT personality types and A LOT OF DIFFERENT body types, and I’m always able to create images that my clients love!! Get excited!
I recommend the following for your engagement session attire:
– Neutrals such as blush, tans, light pinks, faint blues and teals, creams, grays and whites will always result in more of a light and clean look to your images. These colors photograph softer and more romantically!
– If you’re really looking for a soft, feminine look, I recommend a flowing, maxi-length dress or skirt! The movement of this type of fabric photographs beautifully!
– The goal is COORDINATING outfits instead of MATCHING! We also recommend avoiding both of you wearing WHITE as a top. White doesn’t allow for any contrast in your images.
– Guys, I recommend that you avoid patterns that are smaller than a dime! These small patterns can create strange visual effects in a digital camera. Close-toed shoes photograph well, and I recommend avoiding graphic tees and tennis shoes!
– Gals, I recommend that you wear something that flatters the parts of you that you love the most and also allows you to be extremely confident! If you are uncomfortable when you look in the mirror (having to suck in and only like the way you look from one angle), then that probably isn’t the best outfit choice for you. I want you to be really confident in your outfit, because I know that you will love your portraits so much more if you’re not worrying about how your clothes fit!
So, that is all the info. on tips to prepare for your Engagement Session! And remember, keep your session true to you and who you two are as a couple. I love when couples add in personal touches that are important to them, or we hold the session at a location that is significant to them.
I hope this was helpful, and hopefully I’ll get a chance to meet you soon for your engagement session, as a part of your whole wedding photography experience!
Thanks to my couples above, who trusted me to capture this special time in their lives of being engaged! Be sure to check out more of my Engagement Sessions HERE.